Pages

Monday, August 29, 2016

Memorandum Monday up a hill

Big wave to everyone on a sunny but breezy morning.

So what did I do for the first time or learn this weekend?  Well, on Friday I went to the Poetry Library in order to get on a minibus for an hours drive out of Edinburgh into the hills - so that I could walk around the gardens / exhibition space at Little Sparta.  The garden 'is created from the artistic fusion of poetic and sculptural elements with those of the natural landscape which is shaped and changed to become an inherent part of the concept'.  For instance there are several winding brick paths in and around bushes and rows of redcurrant bushes with plinths and stones that have words engraved on them. There are also lots of small bridges over a stream - some stone, some wood and most with words on them and also stepping stones in several places, again often with words on them. 

This garden is only open on a few afternoons over the summer and is hard to get to so I jumped at the chance when I heard about the minibus trip.  There is a 700m walk up a farm track from the car park to the gate - adding to the feeling of remoteness - this is the view from the gate looking back down the path.
 

The garden has a strict policy on protecting its copyright of the whole garden as all aspects form part of the art - so no publication of photos of the garden are allowed, and they ask that people pay if they want to take photos.  So I went along knowing that I would be looking rather than photographing.

However, when we arrived at the library we were all asked if we would be willing to use a disposable camera to take some pictures as we walked around and record our feelings about each image we took - like it?  puzzled by it?  wanting more information.  This was some research that the trustees had commissioned to better understand what visitors would like in a map or guide.  I readily agreed and had some flash back moments as I had to remember to hold the camera up to my eye to look through the viewfinder and also to wind on the film between photos.  I actually enjoyed the process of recording my feelings on each image.  And - big added bonus - they will send me a digital file of all the photos I took - for my own enjoyment.  If you want to have a look at some images from the garden there is a slideshow on their website here.


I had several requests for more information about my last 2 posts.  I don't know anything more about the man playing piano on the beach - just something I saw as I was out for a walk.  The feet in the carpet were a group trying to drum up an audience for their Fringe show - he was wrapped up in a big rug - the show they were doing is an improvised 'who dunnit' with some links to cluedo scenarios and he was the 'body in the drawing room'.

And a last bit of fun from the buzz of the Fringe - I managed to catch a Pokemon - old school!!!!

Hope you all have a good week.


7 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Oh that photo of the gate looking back - wonderful view. What a great opportunity to take photos & give feed back at their request. It would be interesting to return next year to see if any of your suggestions had been implemented. See you Wednesday!

faith76 said...

That sounds like such an enjoyable trip, reminds me of the secret garden. Will have a look at their website as quite fascinated to see what it looks like.

Maggie said...

Looks interesting garden although the website still keeps it quite secret. Lovely picture over the gate.

Sian said...

It looks like you had a lovely day for it too.

Haha! You have been sucked into looking for Pokemon, then :)

Wishing you a good week

Barbara said...

I like the photo looking back from the gate, wonderful views. It must have been a very interesting garden to visit.

debs14 said...

What a view! Beautiful.

Missus Wookie said...

Love the shot of the gate and the track - lovely view. The pokemon made me smile :)