Pages

Monday, April 17, 2017

Memo Monday - the Tate and a green field

A big wave to you all on a chilly spring morning

An unusual weekend for me.  On Saturday I had 5 hours in London before boarding a train back to Scotland.  I had no plans so decided to stroll along beside the river and then visit an art gallery and food market.

I went to Tate Modern and walked through the 'sculpture' galleries which have a wide range of pieces, including one that you could walk on



and another you walked through


I really enjoyed this installation - a circular concrete area outside the building - periodically a fine mist was sprayed out - like really thick fog in places.  It provided fabulous light for photos and as the ground became wet wonderful reflections too.  I was lucky to see it as it is only there for 2 weeks.

The Borough food market was full of people and  lovely food.  I enjoyed a duck wrap, piece of banana bread and fruit punch and bought some bakery for the train and some hot cross buns to take home



The reason that I was in London on the way to the train was that I had been down to attend my uncle's funeral.  He had chosen to be buried at a green field site - a beautiful area with trees and a pond and lots of wildlife which will become a nature reserve.  Caskets are woven from willow and markers are trees and flat plaques. There is a lovely glass pavilion where the humanist celebrant spoke and where we came back for food after the burial.  This is the first time I've been to a burial rather than cremation or memorial.  Another first for me - there was an official photographer there taking photos of all the people.



It was a beautiful setting and felt totally appropriate for my uncle.  Good to see all of my cousins - a shame that it takes a funeral to bring us all together.

Wishing you all a good week.









7 comments:

debs14 said...

That misty installation at the gallery looks fab, brilliant for atmospheric photo taking! Borough Market is a great place to spend time wandering in isn't it?
I have heard of a couple of people recently who have chosen humanist burials, and I am sure it is a very peaceful, natural ceremony.

Lady Ella said...

I agree with Debs - amazing photo you got at that second installation.
Sorry to hear the sad reason for your trip though. Interesting about the funeral. I have been to a pagan dedication, but never a humanist burial. Can't say I would fancy the idea of having my photo taken on such an occasion. :o/

Patio Postcards said...

Sorry to hear of the loss of your uncle. In my family funerals don't even bring us together ... I'll say no more about that. What a beautiful site your uncle was buried at.

Those art exhibitions do sound very interesting.

Cheers to a good week ahead, filled with lots of happy memories of your uncle & plans for cousin meet ups during the summer. :)

Sian said...

I'm very sorry for your loss. I wonder is that the site I read about recently. It sounded so peaceful. A good resting place.

That picture of the installation is amazing! What a lucky find.

Wishing you all the best for the week ahead.

alexa said...

I'm sad to read of your loss; it sounds as if the opportunity to say farewell was very peaceful and gentle. Yes, I don't like only meeting relatives at funerals either ... What a splendid photo of the eerie mistiness! My DD rates Borough market which is not far from her workplace, I think, though she says it's expensive!

Maggie said...

I too am sorry to hear of your loss. Yes it is so sad that we so frequently only meet up at funerals. There is a green burial site just north of Bristol. I have been there once and was greatly impressed. We met in one building (a barn conversion) for coffee then moved to a second building for the funeral. Sadly in this case it was a child, one of the sadder sides to being a children's nurse . The wicker coffin was transported by a pony and carf decorated with flowers to a plot where a tree would be planted and then back to the original building for refreshments.

Karen said...

So sorry to hear about your uncle. He did choose a wonderful site, but I find the idea of a photographer at such an event rather strange. I think about a third of the funerals I've attended included a burial, but less and less frequently now. The installation at the Tate sounds fascinating.