Pages

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bangkok–setting the scene

I’m back from Bangkok, mostly recovered from jetlag, and keen to share my photos.  I really enjoyed having my list of hunt items and it made me hunt out some different aspects and look at the city in new ways. 

First up my hotel – one of many western style hotels in the city and pretty indistinguishable from hotels I’ve stayed in elsewhere.  The luminous green drink was the special fruit mix visitors receive when they arrive – the best I can say about it is that it was wet!

hotel

The skyline shows the prevalence of modern tower buildings which dwarf the more traditional buildings but have not replaced them. 

skyline

and the silhouette of the wats (buddhist temples) is still evident everywhere, and for me the signature skyline shape of Thailand. There are wats everywhere, big and small.  Another sign of spiritual belief found all over are the small floral garlands that are hung on buildings and motorbikes and cars and boats and in doorways to please the spirit of that object or place and so make the day better

relig

all of the wats welcome visitors, as long as you cover shoulders and upper legs and remove your shoes.  I’m using these photos of shoes outside a wat as my item for feet and footwear. 

feet

Bangkok really is an east meets west city with lots that is traditional and distinctively Thai and lots that could be in any large city.  Plenty more examples as I share my whole list over this week

4 comments:

Miriam said...

What a great idea to have your list with you. I really love your skyline set Helena and the shoes are an interesting mix of styles. Looking forward to more.

Karen said...

Bangkok seems like such an exotic destination. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your vacation photos!

Sian said...

I love those panorama horizontal pictures.. you could make a wonderful set of postcards from them.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Those skylines are wonderful!
And really like the shoe photographs.
Rinda