Pages

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Bangkok shops and markets

I loved the bustle and colour of the stalls that line many of the pavements

market

many selling food for immediate consumption.

street-food

deep fried banana, pad thai made as you watch, prepared pineapple, crystallised fruit, peanut brittle and so much more

I did see some foodshops with shelves piled with interesting looking packages

shops

and visited a supermarket to see what kind of things they stocked and found plenty that was familiar and plenty that I’m not used to

supermarket

Apart from food the most common shops seemed to be florists as many Thai people buy a flower garland daily to please the spirits of their house, vehicle or place of work.  People create these by threading small roses and petals taken from larger flowers

Untitled-2

In the tourist areas the other common site is tailors offering to make clothes for you in 2 days – their windows are full of dress forms and collar options

tailor

Shopping in Bangkok feels so different from in UK with more bustle and colour and less space to move and more delicious smells and more interesting take away food.  Tomorrow I’ll finish my tour of Bangkok with the walking food tour and other photos of what I ate.

5 comments:

Miriam said...

Oh! it looks such an interesting place, how funny to see M&M's and deep fried bananas apart from farmers markets we don't do street food do we, mores the pity but I expect H&S would have something to say. Your pictures have brightened up a very dull grey morning here. Looking forward to the walking tour.

Sian said...

This is even better than watching Rick Stein because it has pictures of the clothes shops too!

Alison said...

What an interesting place...one I could safely visit as I now know they sell M&Ms 😉!
Alison xx

alexa said...

Oh, I so want to go! I'd love to try the good in the market and to have address made for one in just two days? Golly! Your photos capture so much interesting detail ...

Maria Ontiveros said...

I love the bowls of green fruit and peppers.
Rinda