Pages

Monday, March 31, 2014

Rocks I collected on the beach

When you were young, did you collect flowers or shells or bits of polished glass from your walks to be used in some crafty piece when home (or carefully placed on a shelf for ‘later use’)? 

Nowadays I rarely colelct things for crafty use or display.  But I do collect photos that I intend to use for creative play, rather than to record a memory.

One my walk last week I was on the lookout for a good dark shape that I could then play with using textures and pixel magic –  I found these rocks

beach-abstact-1

I liked the shape of those rocks and knew the contrast with the sand would provide a good canvas for textures and after some satisfying playing on PSE, I had a selection of colour ways which I put together.

beach-abstact-2

I like how it looks like a partial handprint in some of them. 

What crafty inspiration do you collect on your walks?

8 comments:

Sian said...

It does look like a handprint. That's clever

last year I collected a branch which I turned into an Easter tree for inside. I'm going to be on the lookout for one this year too

Cheri said...

I can't wait to see how you use it in a project! When I was in Nashville, I took some photos of barn wood for a similar purpose.

Jimjams said...

Clever effects Helena.
I still have a bag of sea glass that I was going to use on some crafty project - lovely shades of cloudy blue and green - only I can't remember what the project was going to be LOL!

Lizzie said...

Ha ha... I'm afraid I haven't yet grown out of the "collecting habit"! I have several lots of results from my holiday beach-combing (which reminds me... where are those lovely sea-tumbled sticks....).

I do love how you "collect" photos though - especially as you're so clever at creating something special from them. These textures have worked out great and I love the colours/tones you chose for them.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

I just love your digital pieces, Helena! Leave it to you to see beyond just the rocks in the sand!

I don't really collect anything along the way, but Doug certainly does! He always comes home with at least one cool rock. My favorites are the heart shaped ones, but last weekend he came home with one in the shape of the number one. 1. lol!

Prairie Jill said...

Oh, what a beautiful collection of abstracts!! It would look lovely hanging on your wall! Great work, Helena.
I still enjoy picking up shells and stones on the beach when I go, although I never know what to do with them once I get them home! Mostly, I just collect photos.

Miriam said...

Photo's, rocks and fir cones are not safe when I'm around.
I went out with my friend yesterday and collected 4 cones and 79 photos. I absolutely love your pixel magic Helena.

Anonymous said...

I'm not one to collect things anymore from walks but John - if there's a nice rock/stone it seems he has to have it. :)