Pages

Monday, March 24, 2014

I made these baskets

Sian suggested we take a photo of items around the house that we have made and shared them. 

i-made-flax-weaving

The big on on the left is a waste-paper basket (to give an idea of size).  I made them when I lived in NZ using traditional Maori flax weaving techniques. Unusually the weave is on the diagonal rather than horizontal and vertical.

You pick the flax leaves and weave them while green and fresh and then it dries to the fawn colour – the red is a commercial dye.  I really enjoyed the weaving process and love having several baskets around my house.

[The flax is phormium

mayend 003

and not in anyway related to the flax plant that is used to make linen.]

11 comments:

Sian said...

Oh, these are lovely. I especially like the way they are finished along the top

Karen said...

These are wonderful. Basket weaving is something I think I'd enjoy.

JoAnn ( Scene Through My Eyes) said...

Wonderful baskets - I like the diagonal weave.

Jimjams said...

Beautifully woven Helena - and a lovely memento of NZ.

Sandie said...

These are lovely Helena, anything that is natural appeals to me and I admire your neat weaving.

alexa said...

You are a fascinating lady, Helena, with all kinds of talent! I love your handiwork, and so unusual to see the diagonal weave ...

Prairie Jill said...

Gorgeous! I tried basket weaving once. It was fun - but a lot more difficult than I expected!

Miriam said...

What a talented lady you are Helena. These are lovely.

Maria Ontiveros said...

Now that's something I can see myself doing.
Rinda

Missus Wookie said...

Oh these are lovely. Princess did some basketry and caning - so we went to a couple of shows, amazing art work out there.

Anonymous said...

They look great Helena! Another talent.