Pages

Monday, April 4, 2016

Memorandum Monday eclectic mix

Good morning to Sian and all the Monday wavers and readers.  I was sitting here thinking of something new I learnt or did and came up with a rather eclectic mix of lessons learnt or remembered

1. tulips can smell odd - these look lovely but have a slight peppery smell, not strong but the kind that you catch from time to time


2. but they don't smell as bad as rotting cauliflower - the first time my food waste caddy has smelt in the 6 months that I have had it 

3. that cheese would have been an easy discovery for our ancestors - according to the cheese maker giving a demo - unpasteurized milk in un-sterilized containers will form a simple cheese if just left to stand.  I often wonder how cooking discoveries were made.

4. that it really is a good idea to put a towel between the piece of wood you are screwing screws into and the table you are leaning on - I did remember before I started so a lesson remembered

5. that there is a glitch between blog comments and email - I am receiving a 'failure of mail delivery' message after I leave a comment on several blogs and several bloggers are not receiving email notification of comments.  I investigated online a bit and it seems to be due to new security measures and domain authentication - in my case an issue with all yahoo from New Zealand domain !!!  so not something I can remedy

A big wave to you all and hope you have an eclectically good week


11 comments:

Patio Postcards said...

Pretty tulips. I too have often wondered who came up with a certain food concoction & especially want to know who thought to eat "that" in the first place. Ah yes blogger technology - repeat after me; technology is my friend, technology is my friend ...

debs14 said...

Oh how we take technology for granted when it is all going along smoothly - and how frustrating it is when it goes haywire!
Isn't it interesting how foods have developed over the years? How many happy accidents have led to new discoveries. I can't imagine not having cheese!

Eileen T said...

I too am always fascinated in how cooking discoveries were made. We owe a lot of thanks to those brave soles who experimented all those many, many years ago.

Sian said...

Yes, like Deb, I'm now wondering about a world without cheese..

Cauliflower is awful. Rotten potatoes are terrible too. I tracked one down recently and realised what those famine stories about the sweet, sickening smell actually meant.

Wishing you another interesting week!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

I often want to reply to questions or comments on my blog but am unable to do so due to folk being no-reply bloggers. This sounds like something different though. Ha, your near miss with the table reminds me that my husband learnt this lesson recently. Sadly, not before drilling into the lid of the freezer!

Lady Ella said...

Lovely pic. How annoying for you about your comments. Glad that it isn't just me not getting your notifications but at least we all now know to check in case you have popped in! I'm still no closer to finding out why my posts aren't being mailed to myself any more (no idea how to stop myself being a no-reply blogger either...)

Lady Ella said...

Actually, does this look any different your end?

Alison said...

Catching up Helena.....love the pompoms, the cats and your 'learned' facts! xx

Maggie said...

I do love tulips. Can't say I have noticed the smell though. Had a similar experience with a table when I lifted a tray that had been stored under my conservatory table up onto it only the tray had been sat in something unpleasant donated by the cat which by now was on the fable. Yuk!

Miriam said...

I am going to closer inspect my tulips today! Sian has reminded me of the awful smell of a rotting potatoe, truly disgusting, and I couldn't imagine living without cheese either. A really great list of facts Helena.

Melissa said...

What an interesting and eclectic mix of learning!