Pages

Monday, April 11, 2016

Memorandum Monday after a busy weekend

A big wave to all you lovely Monday wavers.

I've had a busy weekend which included trying my hand at 3 new crafts and participating in some scientific research in the Antarctic.

Sunday was one of my favourite events of the year - the makers faire - a faire full of people interested in making things with a lovely range that includes making things with your hands and on computers.  I love an event that incorporates all these different forms of making things and where you can see a stall with a 3D printer next to one turning old fabric strips into rugs and then another inviting people to make a stop go film burst.

And lovely to see so many people eager to have a go - adults and kids. I'll share my new crafting experiences with you for snap on Wednesday.

This year there seemed to be a strong theme of using materials that would otherwise be thrown away - I loved this fire breathing spider made of metal scrap that was overseeing the courtyard


And then there was my research work on penguins.  I saw an item on the news about a University research group that is studying penguins but has so many photos from all their cameras that they need assistance in spotting the penguins.  You can go onto their site, look at a photo and then you are asked to mark the centre of every penguin that you can see - if you see a chick, an egg or another animal you mark them too


As well as using all this clicking to count the penguins they are hoping to use it to teach computers to identify penguins.

I thought I'd have a look - fun to see some penguin cam - and I must say I found it quite addictive.  Its a bit like those computer games where you have to find the list of objects.  and they cleverly show you the next photo as soon as you click to finish one - and then you start clicking on penguins again and before you realise half an hour has gone - at least it is helping research.  You can join in at
at penguinwatch .  You can mark a few images without signing up - I warn you it is addictive.

Hoping you all have a good week - I'm off to study penguins.



12 comments:

Jane said...

sounds like you've had an interesting weekend, off to spot some penguins now.

Melissa said...

Wow, what an interesting weekend. Sounds like a fabulous fair, and who knew you marking penguins in a photo could be helping research!

Maggie said...

I like the idea of the penguin watch. I think I better stay well away from that. Sounds far too addictive!

debs14 said...

I do have a soft spot for penguins so might just have to pop over to that site to have a look!

Fiona@Staring at the Sea said...

The Makers' Faire sounds like my idea of a great day out. The penguin spotting, whilst intriguing, would prove to be far too addictive I fear!

Barbara said...

I would love to go to the Makers Faire, sounds very interesting although I do find it difficult to get my head around 3D printers. I love the idea of penguinwatch, what a good idea.

Patio Postcards said...

Penguin Watch sounds very interesting & I will be interested further to see what comes of this research. Happy week ahead.

alexa said...

You had me hooked after your first intriguing sentence! Splendid spider - the fire-eating is a nice touch. Looking forward to your fare review, and the new crafts.

Sian said...

Aha! This is interesting. I saw this item on the news, but someone here was talking at the same time and I could see the clicking on penguins going on, but couldn't hear why! Now I know.

The makers fair sounds excellent. Which reminds me to thank you..inspired by your knitting group I have been looking again here and might have found one to go to.

Have a great week

Susanne said...

Very fun, I have a definite preference for penguins over spiders, even the recycled kind.

Anonymous said...

so cool!!!!!

Miriam said...

I loved clicking on the penguins! Thanks. The makers fair sounds so interesting but I can hardly believe its a year since you were at the last one.