Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

seasonal eating

I was talking to a friend from New Zealand last week and he asked about my Fejoa chutney recipe.  I was transported back to the taste of fejoas which are abundant for about a month each year.  They have a wonderful fragrant but sharp taste and make good jam and chutney.  The fejoa bruises easily so the fruit is not exported or stored.  I looked back at my 2009 April photos, when I was living in New Zealand and sure enough I had a photo of fejoa and apples in my fruit bowl.
fruit-2009
Looking at that fruitbowl I know that it is from April because those red apples and fejoa are only available in the southern hemisphere autumn.
By contrast my fruit bowl now could have been taken at any time during the northern hemisphere winter and spring – satsuma and pears and pretty constant for months and don’t shout spring at me.  In fact one of my photo a day photos from April last year, when I was in Australia shows oranges and pears in the supermarket
fruit-2011
I like the seasonality of fruit and vegetables. I like to mark the seasons through all of my senses, including taste. I don’t buy out of season fruit even though there are lots of strawberries in the supermarket at the moment.

5 comments:

Sian said...

This is a really nice answer to the prompt Helena AND I've learned something new too.

Denise said...

Hello, just popping over from BFS :-)

Margie S said...

Very cool way to document not only the differences from this year to last year but also in locations in the world that you've lived. Love it! I'll have to remember that. Found you through BFS.

Lizzie said...

Those fruits sound interesting... I, like Sian, have learned something new, as I'd never heard of Fejoas.
Our pear tree is in blossom just now... 5 or 6 months from now... yummy!

Marilyn & Jeff said...

I love eating by the season and try to do it as much as I can - this means eating locally produce as there are always out-of-season fruit and vegetables in our supermarkets. And yes, you are right, it is feijoa season again!! Wonderful.
Great photos.