Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Exploring digital creativity

 

Yesterday when my Mum was visiting me she was asking about how textures work on photos, after seeing my texture Tuesday posts of her garden and of Kathmandu.  So I chose a couple of photos and textures and showed her the blending mode menu on Photoshop Elements so that she could play. 

Here is what she created from a photo of tulips in my garden

mum's

One of the things that I found really interesting was they way that Mum talked about the image and what she wanted to do with it.  She thinks like a painter – she has taken classes in oils and watercolour and loves to paint and look at paintings.  All of her comments about how she wanted to build up the image were related to how she would approach a painting.

After adding two textures she asked me how she could add some more colour back to the tulips.  First I showed her how to remove the top texture from the tulips.  Then she wanted to add more colour so I showed her how to paint colour onto the image and select a colour from the original photo.  Mum had a copy of the original photo on the screen while doing the painting on of the pink.

I found her painting eye and approach really interesting.  I don’t have any painting background so this is not how I think about images. Mum was using the same tools within PSE that I use but in a different way and with different results.  A real reminder of the vast range of creativity that is possible in the digi world.

Which led me to think about how digi tools are used on blogs that I visit.  And then I wondered about my lovely readers – my lovely band of regular commenters and my valued pool of silent readers.  So I set up a survey with one question about how you use digi (if at all) – please take the survey, it is anonymous and won’t take long.

And if you have the energy and time for comments today I’d love to know if you are aware of the way that you think about creating images and if it has been impacted by painting or other classes.

 

13 comments:

Jen said...

You mum has made a lovely job of this - and I see what you mean - beacuse it reminds me of a Monet - or any other impressionist painter. Did your poll too. J x

scrappyjacky said...

Digi is definately something I still have left to explore.

humel said...

What an interesting poll - do please share the results with us!

You know, my first reaction when seeing this piece was that it looks like a painting - fascinating to read about your Mum's approach :-)

Elizabeth said...

I think your mother shows a lot of talent! I like how she approached it as she would a painting.

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

That is so interesting that your mom approached digital photo editing with a painter's prospective. I would have never thought that way...always good to have a different viewpoint expressed.

And that photo is lovely!

Cheri said...

I'm not sure what my "process" is when working with photos. But I know I have none of the experience necessary to pull off your Mom's approach. It's beautiful!

Miss Smith said...

Glad you found the tape in Paperchase :D

(I bought 4 kinds too...)

Miriam said...

Your mums painting approach to digi is wonderful. Photoshop can be used in so many ways and at so many levels, mine = beginner photo editing, Kim's textures in particular! Great Poll, yes please let us know the outcome?

Colleen said...

So interesting seeing how people use digi tools differently! Can't say I've played with them too much as I like the tactile part of playing with my supplies...

Maria Ontiveros said...

What an interesting post. I have thought a lot about digi and how it can be used to simply improve a photo vs. how it can be used to create a completely different piece of art. It's very cool to see how your mom approaches it.
Rinda

Ginger said...

Hello Helena!! I love digi!! Love Love love, but unfortunately, I have a repetitive shoulder/neck strain and so when I do any digi work, I end up paying for it. I was just learning about blending modes when i stopped doing digi scrapbooking. I use PSE 7 and mostly to make my photos look more appealing. Good on your mum! It's what makes us all interesting with our different perspectives :)

Sarah Elizabeth said...

Another one who likes to play and touch my craft supplies so digi's not really for me. I love seeing what other people can do with it though.

Unknown said...

Great post. I have never played with textures, but your pictures are inspiring.

My husband's grandmother was from Inverness and we still have family there.