Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

simple pleasures

One of the books in our Boxing Day bookpile was “The Book of Idle Pleasures” – descried on the back as “The book lists and reflects on 75 simple pastimes and proves that the best things in life really are free: lighting fires, skimming stones, catching falling leaves, whittling, staring out of the window, dreaming, doodling or taking a nap. "The Book of Idle Pleasures" is a celebration of pleasure for its own sake in a world of consumer overload.”

IMG_0211

Each idea has a double spread with a lovely drawn illustration.

As soon as I saw it I thought “minialbum”. No specific ideas or format but I like the idea of focusing on those simple things that make me happy and don't cost much. I was dipping into it again at the weekend and thinking about which I agree with (dancing; slippers; popping bubblewrap) and which others I would add (laughing; paddling in the sea; markets; rainbows, cutting and gluing coloured card).

A mini-album with a photo on each page and short handwritten journaling would work well I think, probably no more than 20 items. I will keep the idea percolating.

What would you have on your list?

comment tile

2 comments:

Lizzie said...

Ooh, bubblewrap! Slouching in front of a favourite film, sitting by the fire (which we don't have in our current home), sharing chocolate, playing "Uno" with the family, doing stuff with paper... art, more art, crafts, more crafts...

humel said...

Hot buttered toast!! See my blog today lol!

^ Sharing chocolate???? I don't understand that phrase....