Pages

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

glimpses of Bangladesh - flowers

Today is a national holiday in Bangladesh to celebrate the mother tongue and mark the anniversary of the language movement which ultimately led to independence from Pakistan and the creation of Bangladesh  (the land where Bangla is spoken). 

So I went out for a walk, camera in hand, to catch some of the typical sights.  I’m spreading them over several posts.

One of the things I have noticed is the number of flower shops and the use of flowers in ceremonies.  To mark mother tongue day large orange tribute made of marigolds were placed on monuments to the independence martyrs – like the one in the bottom right photo. 

bangladesh-square-2

Gladioli and roses seem to be the most common flowers with yellow and orange dominating because those are the colours used to celebrate the coming of spring throughout February. 

Plants are definitely values here as I’ve noticed plants on many balconies and flat roofs and there are lots of trees around town.

4 comments:

Lizzie said...

Beautiful and colourful flowers! I know so little about Bangladesh, so I am glad to be educated, Helena. Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos.

Sian said...

Everything Lizzie says! I know so little and I relish the opportunity to learn more

Deb @ PaperTurtle said...

SO beautiful! You are so fortunate to be able to travel like you do, ans we are fortunate that you share your journey with us!

Miriam said...

What a joy to be somewhere like this, Thanks for sharing your sights with us!